Samco Campers FAQ’s

Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions

How do I make a booking?

Booking a campervan at Samco Campers could not be easier! We have the following options available:

  • All bookings can be made through out website, where you can book and pay online
  • You can call us on 07956 576 551
  • You can email us with any of your requirements to info@samcocampers.com

Who can drive the campervans?

Our insurance covers drivers aged between 25-72 and held a valid driving licence for at least 2 years

Our hire includes insurance for 1 driver, but you can add up to 2 additional drivers for £50 each per night.

Do we need to pay a deposit?

There are 2 types of deposits required:

  1. Booking deposit: All we require is a 30% deposit to secure the booking. The balance is then due 8 weeks before you collect your campervan. If you book with less than 8 weeks to go, then the balance will be due in full.
  2. Security Deposit: A security deposit of £1000 (£1250 for festivals or sporting events) is required from the hirer’s debit / credit card upon collection of the campervan to cover any accidents or damage to the vehicle. Security deposits will be refunded once the vehicle has been returned to us and is deemed to be in the same state as when it went out.

How much is the insurance excess?

There is an excess of £1000 on the insurance policy

CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) can be taken out for £20 per night, which would reduce your insurance excess to £400. Full terms and conditions are available by clicking here.

What does the rental price include?

We have made sure that our rental price includes the essentials you will need.

Click here for our full list.

What optional extras are there?

Bedding pack: £20 per set, per rental (Double quilt & cover, double sheet, 2 pillows & pillowcases)

Towel Pack: £10 per set, per rental (1 x bath towel, 1 x hand towel 1 x flannel)

Toilet facility pack: £35 per rental (Porta Potti & toilet tent)

Pet adventure pack: £10 per rental (Includes dog bowl, poop bags, ground stake, tie out cable)

Bike Rack: £50 per rental, Max 60kg.

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): £20 per night (Terms apply. Please see section 5 – CDW POLICY – for further details)

Additional drivers (max 2): £50 per night, per additional driver, with clean driving licences

What do I need to bring when collecting the campervan?

  1. All drivers MUST be present when collecting the vehicle
  2. Passport
  3. Photocard driving licence (Must show an up-to-date address)
  4. Two forms of proof of address dated within the last 90 days (Utility bill / bank statement)
  5. National insurance number (UK residents only)
  6. Please contact us if you are unsure on what documentation to bring

Can I drive on an international driving licence?

Yes, you can, but please contact us first, just to make sure!

Can I take the campervan out of the UK?

Overseas travel in all our rental vehicles is not permitted. During the rental period, the vehicle must not be taken outside of mainland England, Wales, or Scotland. For our full Terms & Conditions, click here

Can I drive with points on my driving licence?

You can providing that you have no more than 6 minor points on your driving licence.

Please contact us if you have any more convictions to discuss available options.

Can I add any additional drivers?

We can insure a maximum of 2 additional drivers, at a charge of £50 per additional driver per night

What charges apply if I cancel?

More than 8 weeks before: booking deposit only

8 weeks – 2 weeks: 50% of total hire charge

2 weeks – No Show: 100% of total hire charge

Samco Campers cannot postpone hire, however, may transfer money from one hire to another. This will be reviewed case by case, but Samco Campers reserve the right to decline the request.

Are there any mileage restrictions?

Absolutely none! Unlimited mileage means freedom and independence, allowing you to plan the road trip of your dreams whilst driving one of our VW Californias. All our campervans include this at no additional cost!

Where do I collect the campervan from?

Our collection depot is based in Manchester, 659 Radcliffe Road, BL3 1AN

What time can I collect and return the campervan?

Collection times are between 14:00 and 16:00 Monday – Sunday

Return times are between 09:00 and 11:00 Monday – Sunday

Failing to collect/drop off the campervan on time will incur a charge. Full terms and conditions are available by clicking here.

What happens if I have an accident?

You must inform us within 24 hours of the accident happening by calling us on 07956 576 551

Obtain the names and addresses of third parties and any witnesses

Not make any admission of liability to other parties, settlement offer or other like offer

Further information can be found in our terms and conditions by clicking here

The handover process will further detail what to do in the event of an accident

What happens if we damage the vehicle on hire?

Whilst we want you to enjoy your time exploring in our VW Californias, we ask that you respect the vehicle and all its contents. In the event of any damage occurring, you must call us as soon as possible to obtain advice

What happens if I breakdown on hire?

In the unlikely event that you breakdown whilst on hire, all of our campervans are covered by breakdown assistance. Full details are given during the handover process.

Can Samco Campers collect us from the airport / train station?

Yes, we can, but this must be arranged in advanced by calling us on 07956 576 551. Charges will apply, so please call us for a quote.

Can I leave my car at Samco Campers?

Yes, you can. You can leave a single vehicle at our secure compound. All vehicles are left at the owners’ risk.

Do you deliver?

Unfortunately, we do not offer this service

How old are the campervans?

All our current campervans are the latest models, which are all regularly serviced and maintained

What is the difference between the California Coast & California Ocean?

They are both similar, but to see the difference between the two, click here!

How many people can sleep in the Volkswagen California?

Four people can sleep in our Volkswagen California Campervans. Two at the bottom and two in the roof

What fuel do the campervans run on?

All our Volkswagen California Campervans run on DIESEL

Will the campervan fit a baby / child seat?

All our campervans can fit a baby car seat / booster seat / booster cushion

Do I have to stay on campsites?

Campervans give you the freedom to go wherever you desire! However, we always recommend for safety reasons, that you stay on campsites. It is also advisable to book campsites in advance – especially in peak season! ‘Wild camping’ is prohibited in many areas, so you would just need to check whether there are any restrictions on parking, overnight parking or sleeping in vehicles, in any of the areas you choose to explore

Can I smoke inside the campervan?

Smoking is strictly prohibited in all our vehicles, which includes the use of vapes & e-cigarettes. Samco Campers reserves the right to impose additional valeting and or upholstery cleaning fees should smoke be detected in the motorhome.

Can I take my pet?

Our vehicles are pet friendly allowing you to bring up to 2 medium sized, well behaved dogs at no extra charge. For our terms and conditions, click here.

We also offer a pet adventure pack for only £10 per rental, which includes a dog bowl, poop bags, ground stake and tie out cable

Can I bring my bike?

Yea you can! All of VW California campervans can have a bike rack fitted for £50 per hire. They carry up to 4 bikes and fold out the way when not being used. Click here to view our hireable extras!

Will you show us how everything works?

Every customer receives a full demonstration of the campervan facilities upon collection. User guides are also supplied with all our campervans to ensure that you are using all the equipment safely

What does the leisure battery operate?

The VW California has 2 leisure batteries fitted which are used to operate the elevating roof, the 42-litre fridge, the lights, and the blown air fans for the diesel heating system. They also power the 12-volt plug sockets for when you are out wild camping! These batteries are charged whilst the engine is running and whilst plugged into 240-volt main electricity

What is the main 240v electric hook-up cable for?

The 240v electric hook up cable is plugged into the outside of the caravan as is used to charge the leisure batteries inside the vehicle. This also allows you to use the 240-volt electric plug socket inside the vehicle too, allowing you to use devices and appliances up to 2500 watts.

Is there any heating inside the campervans?

Yes, there is. The campervans come with diesel heating systems, which is all operated from the control panel inside the vehicle. A full demonstration on how this works is given during the handover process.

What does the LPG gas bottle operate?

The LPG gas bottle is only used for the 2-ring gas burner

What size is the fresh-water storage?

The fresh-water storage on the VW California is 30 litres

What size is the waste-water storage?

The waste-water storage on the VW California is 30 litres

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!